St Anne’s is a Roman Catholic Voluntary Aided Primary School for boys and girls aged 3 to 11 years. Our Nursery class takes children on either a full or part-time basis with a maximum of 26 during either the morning or afternoon session.
History of the school
The original buildings of St Anne’s school were opened in 1892 by Reverend William Brown. Emily King, a parishioner of the church, bequeathed £4350 in her will which paid for the school to be built. The original school was on Kennington Lane.
The school was extended in 1932 with the addition of two new classrooms. These rooms are still standing and now house year six.
The school as it stands today was built and opened in 1997 following the purchase of the site of the neighbouring bus garage on Durham Street. Following the opening of the new school, the old school was demolished. All that remains of the original building is the “1932 block”.
The school has been extended since then with the addition of two further classrooms and a first floor extension above key stage 1. This extension now houses our Inclusion Suite.